As winter approaches, it's important for your clients to take a closer look at their skincare routines. The cold, dry air can wreak havoc on skin, leaving it feeling tight, dry, and uncomfortable. Fortunately, with a few adjustments to their skincare routine, they can keep their skin healthy and hydrated throughout the winter months. Here are some tips:
- Use a heavier moisturiser: During the winter months, the air is much drier, which can leave skin feeling dehydrated. To combat this, switch your clients to a heavier, more emollient moisturiser. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and shea butter, which help to lock in moisture and keep your skin feeling soft and supple.
- Incorporate facial oils: Facial oils are a great addition to a winter skincare routine, as they help to nourish and hydrate the skin. Look for oils like jojoba, argan, and rosehip, which are rich in antioxidants and fatty acids that help to protect and moisturise the skin.
- Don't forget about SPF: Just because it's cold outside doesn't mean your clients should skip the sunscreen. UV rays can still damage their skin, even on cloudy or overcast days. Look for a moisturiser with at least SPF 30, or layer a separate sunscreen under moisturiser.
- Avoid hot showers: While a hot shower may feel great on a cold day, it can actually be quite damaging to the skin. Hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils, leaving it feeling dry and irritated. Instead, opt for lukewarm water and limit your showers to 10-15 minutes.
- Exfoliate regularly: Exfoliating is important year-round, but it's especially important during the winter months. Dead skin cells can accumulate on the surface of your skin, leaving it looking dull and dry.
- Protect your hands: Hands are often the first to feel the effects of cold weather, as they are frequently exposed to the elements. Recommend your clients keep their hands moisturised by applying a rich hand cream throughout the day.
Dermalogica Recommendations for Winter Skincare
- Barrier Defense Booster: This oil-based booster is designed to help strengthen and defend your skin's natural barrier. It contains a blend of nourishing oils, including squalane and evening primrose oil, to help lock in moisture and protect skin from environmental stressors.
- Intensive Moisture Balance: This moisturiser is perfect for dry winter skin. It contains a blend of hyaluronic acid and aloe vera to provide intense hydration, as well as antioxidants to protect your skin from free radical damage.
- Daily Microfoliant: This gentle exfoliant is perfect for winter skin. It uses rice enzymes to slough away dead skin cells and brighten your complexion without causing irritation.
- Solar Defense Booster SPF 50: This lightweight sunscreen booster can be mixed in with your moisturiser or applied on its own. It provides broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays, making it the perfect addition to your winter skincare routine.
Changing a skincare routine for winter doesn't have to be complicated. With a few simple adjustments, you can keep your clients skin looking and feeling healthy all season long. Remember to focus on hydration, protection, and gentle exfoliation, and don't forget to take care of your hands too!